I prefer contact via email: email@example.com
Alternatively you can send me a message on LinkedIn
I’ve spent 5+ years working as an engineering manager on top of 8 years as a software developer.
I specialize in building successful, diverse, productive teams. I coach managers and developers, I speak at conferences, I occasionally write code.
I’ve worked in multiple industries including travel, fintech and cybersecurity.
My current goal is to improve the state of engineering management in the tech industry.
2022+: Senior Engineering Manager
- Manager of managers with 4 direct and 15 indirect reports
- Took caretaker role in April 2022, promoted to permanent role in August 2022
- Responsible for internal tools related to incident response, service lifecycle and secrets management
- Involved in creation and adoption of career frameworks
- Leading workshops and community meetings for engineering managers
- Responsible for negotiating multi-million contracts with vendors
- Hiring manager for multiple roles
2021-2022: Engineering Manager
- Led team responsible for incident response policies, practices, and tools
- Introduced community meetings for engineering managers
- Led technical implementation and adoption of on-call program
- Supported team with technical guidance
2020 - 2021: Engineering Manager at EclecticIQ 🇳🇱
- Led a team of 10+ people: developers, testers, technical writers
- Led a backend community of practice
- Responsible for hiring across multiple roles
- Supported team by doing code reviews and writing code
2019 — 2020: Manager of Software Development at Diligent 🇳🇱
- Led 2 teams working on CGLytics product (10 people in total)
- Overhauled team processes which reduced weekly time spent on meetings by more than 3 hours
- Initiated major changes in the platform: upgrading software, improving scalability, introducing better tools
- Porformed as a “scrum master”, responsible for maintaining backlog, organizing daily and weekly updates, etc.
- Updated and formalized interview process for development teams
2015 - 2018: multiple roles at Ascenda 🇸🇬
2017—2018: Head of Engineering
- Managed 3 teams of engineers with up to 16 direct reports
- Initiated and set up the first overseas team of Engineering (in Manila, Philippines) and growing development team from 8 to 20 people
- Overhauled team structure and processes as the company kept growing and maturing
- Mentored developers on all stages in their careers, from interns to team leaders
- Participated in team-wide and company-wide performance review
- Initiated and led efforts in moving company to a remote-first culture
- Continued to be a hands-on engineer, with working time split between programming and management activities
2015—2017: Lead Software Engineer
- Helped the company to grow from 2 to 8 engineers (and to around 20 by the end of 2018)
- Designed and led building 2 main company products: a web-based white label travel booking platform and API-based loyalty currency exchange
- Led effort in implementing major functionalities, including a hotel search engine written in Elixir
- Collaborated with other departments in removing bottleneck through design of internal tools
- Led multiple team meetings, including sprint planning and retrospective
- Introduced and organised internal workshops
2014 and prior: software developer at various companies 🇪🇸🇩🇪🇵🇱
- Worked remotely and in the office in multiple countries and across multiple timezones
- Optimized Ruby on Rails apps to handle up to 300,000 req/min
- Led internal and external workshops, organized community meetings and internship programs
- Poznan University of Technology - BSc in Computer Science, 2007 — 2011
- Poznan University of Technology - MSc in Computer Science, 2011 — 2012
- Back-end development with Ruby, Elixir, Scala, Python, Node.js, PHP
- Front-end development with TypeScript, Angular, Vue.js, React.js
- Proficiency with both SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience with multiple AWS services
- Experience with heavy-traffic, scalable applications, service oriented architecture
- Basic familiarity with machine learning, Kubernetes, Hashicorp tools
- I occasionally contribute to open source projects. I used to maintain Sorcery, a popular authentication library.
- I spoke at several technical conferences, including EuRuKo (European Ruby Conference), WebExpo Prague, RedDotRuby in Singapore, RubyConf Taiwan as well as Codemotion Berlin.
- I used to co-organise local meetups for Ruby Developers in Poland and Singapore, as well as meetups for Elixir and Erlang developers in Singapore.
- I volunteered as a programming coach in Singapore, Poland and Spain.
- I speak Polish (native), English (very fluent) and Spanish (conversational). Currently I study Dutch.